Wednesday, July 7, 2010

eat less exercise more

"Eat less exercise more" is the short version of how my 28 week appointment went on Friday. Sigh.

I had gained 9 lbs from 24 - 28 weeks. A nurse made a comment and then when I asked my midwife what she recommended in regards to a c-section she made another comment about my weight gain. At 28 weeks I had gained a total of 26 lbs.

We discussed the pros and cons of vaginal vs. c-section delivery. My midwife said that vaginal is the best way to go and went over complications that could arise in future pregnancies from having a c-section such as uterine eruption and placenta something (starts with an A). I think that's where the placenta doesn't attach to the uterine wall but attaches through it. Right now I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead and she thinks it will be an 8-9 lb baby. She wants me to keep my weight down so that the baby will not be as big. If the baby is less than 8 lbs she recommends a vaginal birth and if baby is more than 8 lbs a c-section. They'll be doing a growth ultrasound when it gets closer.

However I really don't agree with her advice. I feel the size of baby mostly has to do with genetics. I gained 60 lbs with DS and he was 7 lbs 13 oz. I am on track to gain at least 20 lbs less this time around and the baby is bigger. From my understanding the baby takes what it needs first and then whatever is left over is from mom. If I follow the instructions of "eat less exercise more" I'd basically be depriving myself and possibly baby of any nutrician s/he needs. I'm already working out 3-4 days a week and I'm not eating a huge amount of junk food. So I guess my appointment really didn't help out with the decision I need to make.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I think it's bogus to have a c-section for anything over 8 lbs. There are plenty of women who vaginally deliver 10 lb babies. Did you have a c-sect with your first? (Sorry, I don't remember if you mentioned it here.)

    I gained 8 lbs between appointments and my OB said it was OK because I didn't gain a lot early in pregnancy but she totally gave me the side eye. I DO need to work out more and have been eating about half and half healthy-to-junk. Good luck to both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason for the possible c-section is because of my severe tear with DS. I had a 4th degree tear to my rectum including muscle. If I have another severe tear I could have issues such as fecal incontinence. Therefore they have offered me an elective c-section to avoid that problem.

    ReplyDelete